Saturday, September 03, 2005

Today's post is brought to you by the letter 'B' and the number 21.

First blog post ever.

Today's post is brought to you by the letter 'B' and the number 21.

B
is of course for blog. Mine is named "labels are never easy". This is largely due to having no idea what to call it, but also because I spend a lot of time thinking about labels. Sexuality, gender, nationality. All of those elements of our identity include a label of some sort. We are as much the sum of our labels as we are anything else.

I know that none of this is a particularly original, however I never claimed to be!

I have especially been thinking about labels in terms of sexuality of late. I had an intense conversation with my parents a week or so ago about sexuality, well actually about whether I would have children, but sexuality obviously came into this. My mum asked if...

"As far as you are concerned you are gay and always will be?"

I was a little unsure how to answer this. The easy answer is yes. I am gay, and as of current posting I have only had romantic/sexual feelings towards woman. I am involved with a woman and there are no plans for that to change anytime soon. But why does this sort of thing have to be so solid? Why is it that we have to constantly label and box everything? If I did start seeing a man would I now magically be straight? Or would I be a lesbian who is kinda seeing a man??

Human nature yadda yadda yadda... but is there more to it than our desire to understand and feel comfortable with anything that is considered 'different'? There are no answers to this and I'm glad mum asked me the question. After all it is a hell of a lot better than skirting around the subject like some huge pink elephant, but it did make me think.

That should do for now, the other part of today's post is of course 21. As in weeks. As in 'till Tamar returns to Wellington.

Listening to: Culexico and High Contrast's Essential mix

No comments: